.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Dilettante's Ball

About Me

LibraryCog
Quædam cuiusdam
Lorcan Dempsey's Weblog
Rawbrick
The Shifted Librarian
planet code4lib
Metafilter

Powered by Blogger

WAG the Monkey
I've finally managed to rewrite quite a bit of the WAGger to run in Greasemonkey, a sort of crazy swiss-army knife for Firefox. My only experience with Greasemonkey up until now was modifying Peter Binkley's Firefox extension to work with GM (which required... nothing on my part, really). My hesitation mainly revolved around my historical frustrations surrounding JavaScript and the amount of work I'd potentially have to put into something that works in a browser that nobody uses.

Now I'm pretty happy I invested some time.

First of all, I have the WAGger persistence that I really could never get from the PHP Localizer. Instead of requiring the user to know when to use the bookmarklet, WAG the Monkey knows when to wag for the user. Of course, this assumes it's always on, which is less than ideal.

Another advantage is that it's fast. Real fast. Like so much faster. Like really.

The best part is that I think I can use most of it for a better and faster bookmarklet style WAGger, as well.

Thank you, Greasemonkey, for making me get off my ass and learn JavaScript in ways that I should have a long time ago.

If you want to try it (for a Georgia Tech experience), install Greasemonkey, then this user script.

Now that I've overcome my fear of JavaScript, maybe I'll take a look at Piggy Bank. RDF has always given me the willies...

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, June 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last I saw, Firefox had hit 50 million downloads, so some of us are using it...

 
At 5:41 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Ross said...

Well, considering I work for an engineering school with Firefox loaded on all of the library computers, we still have over 70% of our web traffic coming from IE.

Firefox is a completely respectable 15%, though.

The point is, though, if that 15% is located in the library, that's not exactly the user the WAGger is designed for.

 
At 6:18 PM, November 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"

 
At 9:50 PM, November 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What If This Could All Happen Automatically,
with a simple push of a button.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home